Vintage Gallery #7 The Battle of Ypres Brooch


This is a souvenir brooch from World War I. It marks the 3rd battle of Ypres, the Battle of Passchendaele, which took place between July and November 1917. The badge shows the Ieper (Ypres) Coat of Arms. It can be worn as a brooch or cap badge. It's silver plate.

This particular example is a family piece found in a rummage box of odds and sods. I do not know if I have an relative who took part in this battle; could be. Researching my family history is on my very long to-do list.

What I do know is many did take part, and for many of them, it was the last thing they did. No one can agree on how many soldiers died. For the Allies the figure range from 200,000 - 448,614, for the German Empire it ranges from 260,400 - 400,000. 


What is Vintage Copywriting? 

Gorgeous vintage finds, described with adoration and photographed up-close by English fashion copywriter Angela Montague. This blog fuses my day job as a fashion copywriter with my two obsessions: beautiful old things and photography.

Be first to see any new posts by following the blog on Facebook or Pinterest


You can also subscribe by email.

Comments

  1. I have never seen such booch, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a similar brooch that I am trying to find more info on. I also found it among family treasures with no known history of anyone actually serving at Ypres. Any information that I do have all says it is a WWI Sweetheart brooch from Ypres with one source citing it as a commemorative pin of Passchendaele.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment. Much appreciated!